Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Quick Camp Tip - A Camp Hanger


When I setup camp, I like to keep my gear up off the ground as much as possible.  I don't think we should be driving nails in or breaking branches of of trees just to have a place to hang a jacket or pack.  
One of the first things I do when I setup camp is find a couple of sturdy forked sticks laying on the ground and make a couple of gear hangers.  I just cut the forked part of the sticks off and split them down the middle. Securely lash the "Hanger" to a nearby tree about chest height and presto... Instant hanger for anything you want off the ground.  I usually end up hanging my pack first to make it easier to get everything else out to setup camp.  With practice you can have a couple of hangers ready in a few minutes. 
When you head out, just untie the hanger and toss the rope in your pack with no damage to the tree. Give it a shot and let me know how It works for you.

Thanks for reading,
N.E.V.

No comments:

Post a Comment