Thursday, October 13, 2011

Cool Stuff Review - Discover Wilderness Survival Playing Cards!

On our last trip to the Adirondacks, we stopped at a couple of souvenir shops so I could pick up a window sticker for my car. Sitting there on a shelf in one of them was something called "Discover Wilderness Survival" Playing cards! Since I almost always have a deck of cards in my kit, and I believe that anything I carry should be multipurpose, I decided to spend the $6.00 and check them out.  I wasn't sure exactly how you could fit a wilderness survival manual on a deck of playing cards but when I opened them up I was pleasantly surprised at the content.  Each card has a different survival strategy on it, with titles such as "Survival Basics", "Signaling for rescue in the wilderness", "River Safety" and even... "How to wrestle free from an Alligator"!!!  Certainly fun to read! All in all I was impressed with the amount of data on the cards, the print is small and I would have liked to see more diagrams and pictures, but the information looks good.  I didn't see anything new or any bad advice, just good basic survival information.  I was also very happy to see they are printed in the U.S.A.  When I checked out the manufacturer Sea to Sky Photography at http://www.seatoskyphoto.com/ I saw that they have a whole line of photo playing cards with Birds, Animals, Marine Life, etc.  I just may have to check a few more of them out.
So I'll be swapping out the ratty old deck of cards in my kit with these because here in the Northeast, you never know when you may have to wrestle free from an alligator!
Thanks for reading and enjoy the outdoors,
N.E.V.

No comments:

Post a Comment