Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Ultralight Bushcraft Stool



I like to get outdoors in all kinds of weather, In good weather I'll sit right on the ground next to a campfire, If it's cold or rainy I like some sort of seat. I like to use a stool but couldn't find one light enough so I decided to try making my own.  Basically this is just a triangular piece of heavy fabric with a pocket sewn in each corner.  When I get to camp, I cut three good pieces of wood about 18" - 20" long, round one end with my knife and point the other one.  Lash the three together in the middle, spread out the legs, put the rounded ends in the fabric and push the sharpened ends into the ground........Taa Daa... Instant camp stool.  The picture above was a prototype I quickly made up to test on my last trip.  It worked great and I will now be making one a little nicer and in a heavier fabric.  Have a great weekend.

4 comments:

  1. I really like this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful idea! I want to make one... now off to my garage to locate some heavy fabric. Hmm... wonder if the wife will notice if I cut the fabric from this old chair we've got stored here...

    Cheers,

    Mungo

    ReplyDelete