Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Ultralight Bushcraft Stool Version 2.0

After sucessfully testing the first ultralight bushcraft stool I made (See post here), I decided to make one a little sturdier.  The prototype was made from denim and it had started to stretch and tear a bit.  This one is made from a rectangular piece of leather, cut crossways, one side flipped and then sewed together.  The corners were rounded and the pockets cut to match out of the same piece of leather.  The entire thing was hand sewn then given a coat of beeswax.  I did make a few changes from the original,  I rounded the corners more and made the pockets a little bigger.  I tried this one out on our recent family vacation and it performed even better than the original.  It's made of medium weight leather, so it's not exactly ultralight...but it should last me a very long time.  Thanks for reading.
N.E.V.

8 comments:

  1. I love it. I'm going to make one of these - such a terrific idea.

    Thanks for sharing. You have one of the most inspiring blogs, man!

    Mungo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... Such a good idea, I think I am going to pinch it...:-) Thanks for posting.
    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice idea,must make one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! What are the approximate dimensions?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great comments, It's approx. 14" on each side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what type of knot did you use. I'd like to use this for the boy scouts.

      Delete
  6. It's tied together with a simple lashing and square knot. I leave it a little loose so the legs will fold out.

    ReplyDelete